Sunday, April 1, 2012

Scout Auction


I'm kind of embarrassed to post about this, but I had a lot of fun with this cake. Every year, our ward hosts a Scout auction where they serve a free dinner in exchange for a dessert to auction off. This year I wanted to do something a little fancier than my previous cookies, so I dreamed up this cake. It had 4 layers of cake, 2 layers of devils food and 2 layers of my favorite semi-homemade chocolate cake. I filled each layer with real homemade strawberry filling and iced it in white buttercream. I topped it with a rich chocolate ganche and chocolate covered strawberries. The whole thing took me several hours and a couple of days. I'm only sad I didn't get to cut into it and see how pretty I imagined the inside to look. It ended up going for over $100 and made it worth my effort. Next time, I'll add another layer of buttercream on the outside and dip my strawberries the day before. These pictures aren't that pretty, but here's the final result:

0 comments: