Monday, April 30, 2012
Florida: The last day and a trip home
I don't have any pictures of our last day at the beach, but this one didn't add to the last post so you get it here. I wasn't in a great mood the last day. It was really windy that day and Clara just wasn't having it anymore. I didn't spend a lot of time at the beach until the afternoon but was glad I joined everyone. Keith and Mackenzie had been playing and she was really brave. I got back in the water and had fun fighting the crazy waves. We all collected seashells and enjoyed having the beach pretty much to ourselves. That night we packed everything up so we could leave at 4 AM the next morning.
Our trip home was memorable. We got caught in a horrible thunderstorm in Alabama. I was driving and pulled over pretty quickly when the car kept hydroplaning and I couldn't see well. The thunder shook our car and the lightening was constant. Keith drove us through that and about an hour after I took over driving again, storm clouds loomed ahead of us. These clouds were so dark, I immediately started feeling panicked. As soon as the rain started pouring, I was gripping the wheel and when it got so bad I could absolutely not see out of the windshield I was almost in tears. We were on the freeway and I was in the far left lane trying to figure out how to pull over when I couldn't see anything around me. Keith calmed me and guided me and we pulled over. I switched spots with Keith and felt better when I saw most of traffic had stopped or was driving really slowly. After that, the weather wasn't bad. When we were about an hour outside of Kentucky, we got a text alert notifying us of a tornado warning in our county. We called up a friend who told us it was storming pretty good and he'd let us know which way the storm was headed. A tornado did end up touching down in Louisville, but we luckily missed driving through that storm.
Keith humored me and let us stop at the Zappos outlet on the way home. It was a great break and I came home with a couple pairs of shoes.
All in all, it was a wonderful trip and I hope that we get to go back sometime soon. I would recommend Destin to anyone. The beaches are beautiful and clean and the town is family friendly with a lot to do if you run into bad weather (or bad sunburns).
Posted by Natalie at 9:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment