Let me give you some background. Due to some very crooked teeth I've had my fair share of dental/orthodontic work done. Each time, I went into the dentist, I would have some minor anxiety which was only amplified with laughing gas. Just about every time the dentist has tried to numb my mouth it's a serious process including a series of shots and on one occasion, pressing forward with the procedure even though I felt a lot of pain.
Tuesday I went into the dental school because I had three bad fillings in the past that needed to be redone. One in particular has gotten so bad, it's almost to the root and that's what I went in to have fixed.
The dentist working on me was a fourth year in our ward that I trust completely and feel is absolutely competent as a dentist. I warned him that I would be a difficult patient and it proved to be true. He tried 3 big (might I add painful) shots in the back of my mouth with no success. We called over a dentist and he tried his hand at it by shooting higher with no luck. Next, they took a little gun to my mouth and tried to isolate the tooth by giving a series of shots all around it. We did this twice and each time, I could feel the nerve shooting pain as soon as the drill got going. No luck.
Two hours = a partly numb mouth, no fixed filling, and one incredibly painful jaw for days to come.
Is it bad that I just want to get knocked out for the rest of my dental work? I mean, I managed to deliver a baby after 25 hours of pitocin and yet I work myself up into a nauseating sweat over a couple hours of dental work. I'm so sorry for being a difficult patient Brandon, maybe we'll get it next time eh?
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Why I hate going to the Dentist: Ironic, don't you think?
Posted by Natalie at 10:43 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Oh Natalie,
I am so sorry it went so bad for you, I'm sorry you were in such bad pain, Brandon felt bad when he got home. Hopefully you are feeling better. Take care
ya, i'm totally with you. I HATE the dentist and the sad thing is, my dentist growing up was my grandpa. I always have a mini anxiety attack every time I go. I'm sorry. I hope your tooth feels better soon.
Oh, that is awful, especially how they continued to try to numb you but had little success. Try sedation dentisty, it may be a lifesaver. No dental task is a carefree one, even a filling. Hope you are not scarred for life, I know I would be.
Sorry Natalie! I never liked the dentist much either (probably because I had so much work done). It's pretty ironic we married dental boys!
I second the recommendation for sedation dentistry.
Post a Comment