Monday, October 6, 2008

PUPPPS

No I have not developed a love for puppies as the title may entice some to believe, I have instead developed a beautiful rash with the name of Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy. As my family knows, I tend to have a knack for developing weird illnesses and this is just another one to add to my list. Funny enough, I knew on Saturday as I ran my hands across my bumpy belly exactly what had happened overnight. I remembered in my pregnancy class reading about some disgusting rash that could develop inside of your stretch marks and I thought to myself, "well thank goodness only 1% of women get this and most of the women who do are carrying boys." How wrong I was to think that I wouldn't be in the 1%. Just a brief description, the rash starts in your stretch marks (which makes them extremely red, bumpy and itchy) and then typically progresses its way down your thighs and arms. It develops in the third trimester and stays until after the delivery where it can linger for weeks until disappearing. Let's just say, it's like having permanent hives on your body. The reason I share this is so that all of you can know that if I am itching my belly, it's because I can't help it. And if the next time you see me I am covered in zit like sores all over my body, don't be alarmed I am not contagious and I have not developed some flesh eating disease. Because I don't want to scare those of you who are thinking of getting pregnant, I will not put a picture of the nasty rash on here but feel free to google it, I'm surprised how much I found. If anyone has any ideas on how to relieve the crazy itchiness, I'm definitely open for suggestions!
Besides PUPPPS, everything is as expected with the last month of pregnancy. We are so excited to bring the baby into our home. The doctor checked me on Friday and said I'm dilated to a 1 and my cervix is thinning so let's hope this baby wants to come a little earlier and let's hope that she comes out a girl!

6 comments:

Jeff and Holly said...

Nat, I am soo sorry. That doesn't sound like fun at all. I hope that you find something to relieve it. Good luck and enjoy your last month! Hopefully your pregnancy won't last as long as mine did and you will get your Halloween baby!

Joy said...

Ouchy! Can you try Calamine Lotion or baby rash ointment? I'd ask your doctor first, but anything to get rid of the itch would be nice I bet. We had a great time on Saturday with you guys. We'll be thinking of you this last month!

Aimee & Josh Jensen said...

OMG the problem i had i got and only 1% get it lol
but since i've had it i always have it. BUT it causes stillbirths because the problem kills the baby! SO be so grateful that its just a rash thats annoying but that doesn't harm the baby :)
she will be here before you know it :)

Nycole said...

Oh my goodness. I am sorry that you have a yucky rash, weird! I hope you get feeling better!

Curtis & Ashley said...

I remember learning about that in labor and delivery...no fun at all! I can't believe you only have a few weeks left! Hang in there! :)

Katie Shaw Merritt said...

Nat-

I am so sorry about that! I hope u find something to help it. How are you besides? I bet you are just trying to keep busy to get through this last month! (I know it hasn't been hard to stay busy for you right now...Hang in there!) We love you and hope for a quick and healthy delivery/labor when she comes!