Saturday, August 30, 2008

Home Again


That’s right, I’m actually calling Idaho home. I’ve finally come to peace with the idea that my life is officially and completely in Idaho. I’m a resident with a driver’s license and a home address. Our little girl will forever have the privilege of telling people throughout the duration of her life that she is an Idaho baby. 3 years ago I don’t think I would have been okay telling people that I lived in Idaho. Not that there’s anything wrong with Idaho, my heart just wasn’t tied to the potato state. Well, 3 years of school in Rexburg and a move from Spokane to Idaho Falls with my family and I find myself quite attached to this state that easterners are completely unaware of.
This attachment actually presented itself quite suddenly. I always felt homesick for Rexburg after a summer of working but I was always quick to attribute the feeling to the nostalgia for my college life. But let me tell you, flying out of Vegas and back to Idaho Falls made me more excited than I could have ever imagined. Yeah I was sad to leave Keith for a couple more weeks but I was excited to be back with my family and into a routine. I was tired of a big city and the traffic, smog and irritated drivers that accompanied it.
Wednesday that welcoming embrace of home enveloped both Keith and I as we saw the sign declaring we were officially in Idaho. We have truly grown to love the wonderful, kind people that make up Rexburg. Although meager, we love our small strip of downtown shops and the clean pedestrians that walk the streets in any type of weather. We love the fact that we can count on bumping into friends and professors at Broulims, Albertson’s, Wal-Mart, campus, basically anywhere we go in this town.
So does all of this mean that we plan on permanently living in Rexburg after dental school? Unless the average winter temperature increases at least 40 degrees, I’m going to have to say no. But I hope that we will be able to find a town in a state that is as lovely and welcoming as Rexburg has been.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to agree with you on the winter being 40 degrees or higher...hahaha. We can only wish :) Hopefully this winter is not as terrible as the last!

Kevin and Steph said...

Can I just say I completely agree with everything you said about Rexburg? Were living downtown Salt Lake for the fall and oh man do I miss the small, cute town, with happy people who don't scare me! I want january to come so I can be in Rexburg for the next 3 years! ha ha.